Welcome to my homepage. My name is CHOW Ka Fat, or Ka-fat CHOW, following the Western habit of placing the family name at the back of one's name. At present, I hold five degrees. The latest one is a PhD degree for which I have done some research on linguistics. Apart from linguistics, I am also interested in history and mathematics as well as an enthusiast of the Mastermind game and Supercube (a variant of Rubik's Cube). Here you can find the links to two chronologies compiled by me and my Mastermind and Supercube websites as well as the materials of some of my academic presentations in English. I also maintain a Chinese homepage. If you can read Chinese, you may visit my Chinese homepage which includes some of my essays on history, mathematics and linguistics. Hope that you love this site.
|Degree||Institution||Year of Award
|Bachelor of Social Science||Chinese University of Hong Kong||1989
|Bachelor of Science with Honours in Mathematics||Open Learning Institute of Hong Kong||1995
|Master of Science in Applied Mathematics||City University of Hong Kong||1999
|Master of Arts in Chinese Linguistics||Hong Kong Polytechnic University||2007
|Doctor of Philosophy||Hong Kong Polytechnic University||2012
|Award||Institution / Organisation||Year of Award
|Outstanding Thesis Award (M.A.)||Linguistic Society of Hong Kong||2007
SOME OF MY ACADEMIC PRESENTATIONS IN ENGLISH
- On Monotonic Inferential Relationships of Quantified Structures in Natural Language (in Chinese), M.A. dissertation, Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2007) (doc file, pdf file, Revision)
- "A Semantic Model for Vague Quantifiers Combining Fuzzy Theory and Supervaluation Theory" in van Ditmarsch, H., Lang, J. and Ju, S. (eds.): Logic, Rationality and Interaction - Proceedings of the Third International Workshop on Logic, Rationality and Interaction, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 6953/2011, pp. 61-73, Berlin: Springer (2011) (author-final version, slides associated with this paper with additional materials)
- "The General Pattern of Squares of Opposition and its Applications" (in Chinese) in Jiang, Y. (ed.): Approaching Formal Pragmatics, pp. 104-121, Shanghai: Shanghai Educational Publishing House (2011) (author-final version)
- "Monotonicity and Scalar Reasoning" (in Chinese) in Jiang, Y. (ed.): Approaching Formal Pragmatics, pp. 122-174, Shanghai: Shanghai Educational Publishing House (2011) (author-final version)
- "Formal Representation and Inferential Patterns of Interrogative Quantifiers" (in Chinese) in Jiang, Y. (ed.): Approaching Formal Pragmatics, pp. 175-261, Shanghai: Shanghai Educational Publishing House (2011) (author-final version)
- "General Patterns of Opposition Squares and 2n-gons" in Beziau, J.-Y. and Jacquette, D. (eds): Around and Beyond the Square of Opposition, pp. 263-275, Basel: Birkhauser / Springer (2012) (author-final version)
- "Generalizing Monotonicity Inferences to Opposition Inferences" in Aloni, M. et al (eds), Logic, Language and Meaning - Proceedings of the 18th Amsterdam Colloquium, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 7218/2012, pp. 281-290, Berlin: Springer (2012) (author-final version)
- "A Scalar Model Interpretation for Subjective Quantity" (in Chinese), Chinese Language Learning, 2012:4, pp. 29-38 (2012) (author-final version)
- Inferential Patterns of Generalized Quantifiers and their Applications to Scalar Reasoning, Ph.D thesis, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2012) (copyright-protected version)
- "A Semantic Model for Interrogatives based on Generalized Quantifiers and Bilattices" in Grossi, D., Roy, O. and Huang, H. (eds.): Logic, Rationality and Interaction - Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on Logic, Rationality and Interaction, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 8196/2013, pp. 54-67, Berlin: Springer (2013) (author-final version)
- Opposition Inferences and Generalized Quantifiers (This is the author-final version of a paper in New Dimensions of the Square of Opposition (to appear).)
If you have any comment to my website, please send an email to email@example.com.
You may also post a message on CHOW Ka Fat's Forum.
My Chinese homepage